Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Theological Damage Control

So, there we were, minding our own business, trying hard to be good Christians, but knowing we all sin, but God loves us anyway; sitting in a class to join our church; loving one another and patting ourselves on the back for having the intelligence to have accepted Christ as our Lord and Saviour, when from across the table, the chaplain's wife said the most fateful thing I had ever heard, "... hell is not real."

Suddenly, my theology callapsed.

Over the course of the next few weeks, our house church relocated to the chaplain's house and suddenly things began to reform. I re-read Ephesians with new eyes, I began to discover the downfall of the early Bible translators who translated from the Latin instead of the Hebrew and Greek; we learned that all those times the KJV says 'forever and ever', it really should have said ' from eon to eon (that's time not eternity); we discovered prior to its creation by the Catholic church, there was no concept of Hell - and how early translators translated three different words into that one-most-four-letter-of-words; we discovered God had a plan and we were in it and how perfect God's love really is ... Maybe I should start explaining all of this ... and I'm sorry if I broke you're theology, but trust me, it'll feel better when we put it back together.

No comments: