Thursday, April 24, 2008

Retirement Day One

If I believed in Karma I could surely trace the downfall of my working life to someday in my late teens when I scoffed at someone who was living on disability. This would have made sense, given the fact I am 37 and am beginning the second period of my life post-retirement-for-life-changing-injury.

To catch new readers up to speed, I was medically retired from the Marine Corps in 2003 after failing to recover quickly enough from a hip injury, then a couple of years later, I was well enough to join the Prince George's County Sheriff's Office where I have served for 2 1/2 years, but due to an in-the-line-of-duty injury, I am now limping away with a busted ankle and another meager pension.

But as I said, I don't believe in Karma, and thanks to the Grace of God, I get to stay at home and be with Heather and Liam all the time, and we are thus planning a Cross Country tour. We'll be leaving in June to go to Maine, then making a u-turn and heading South to Alabama. From there, its a cross country trek to the Grand Canyon, ending in Oregon then down to Yosemite National Park. On our final leg, we will stop over in Las Vegas for my best friend's wedding the we'll follow US 50 back to Maryland.

Today, we began working on the house, replacing our stove and dishwasher, so if I don't eletrocute myself rewiring the kitchen, I'll be back tomorrow to tell you how Day Two is going.

No comments: